Today we are launching a COVID-19 appeal to support the ongoing work of Sutton's Voluntary and Community Sector in response to the impact of the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak.
This appeal is managed by Sutton Giving, which is part of Community Action Sutton (a registered charity). As a sector, we are continuing to work closely with the local NHS and Council to coordinate efforts, as well as with our Voluntary and Community Sector friends and partners, to ensure that anyone in our community who needs support receives it.
Due to the overwhelming number of offers of help and food we have decided to set up an additional community hub to receive donations and coordinate activities. This additional distribution centre is intended to complement the central hub run by Sutton Council at the Westcroft Centre, which is already providing a weekly food delivery to the most vulnerable as well as being the first port of call for anyone who needs support (see below "Sutton Council: How to ask for help"). The need for this additional distribution centre was identified during our ongoing collaboration with Sutton Council and other partners.
While the main Council hub will continue to deliver food to those who are shielding or vulnerable these donations will be used for food parcels that are already being delivered by organisations including Sutton Carers Centre, Volunteer Centre Sutton, Age UK Sutton and Home-Start Sutton. Donations will also be shared with Sutton Night Watch as well as sought on behalf of any Voluntary and Community Sector group who needs them.
How can you donate? There are 3 ways:
1. As an individual, can you donate food and other essential items? We will post on social media weekly lists of what we need, with designated drop-off points.
2. As a business or supplier, can you provide a regular delivery of fresh meat, fruit and vegetables, and other fresh, perishable foodstuffs? Please get in touch with Sutton Giving via email@example.com.
3. For anyone, can you donate money to enable us to purchase and supply any of the items we need? To donate online go to Sutton Giving's Virgin Money platform.
Donations of food and essentials: "Ask of the week"
Every Tuesday, we will post across our social media (see below for links) a list of specific donations of food and other essential supplies that we need for that week. This list will vary from week to week depending on the needs of the people it is supporting. We are setting up designated donation drop-off points across the borough and the information of where and when you can donate will be provided.
Our supporting partners
We are delighted to announce a partnership with Metro Bank Sutton. You can bring any of the items on our donations wish-list to the Sutton branch during opening hours. Please check here for their location and current opening hours.
We are also working with the Sutton C19 Community Kitchen, set up by Sutton resident Venu Sood, along with a few local volunteers from her local community, to provide nourishing meals for keyworkers and vulnerable individuals and families. This project is entirely funded by donations. Please visit https://bit.ly/2VXeHHl for more details about this amazing project and how to donate.
We are also supported by local volunteers from The Hygiene Bank, who will be collecting donations of essential toiletry supplies for our distribution centre, as people's access to these items can be limited as their access to food if thet are unable to shop for themselves.
Alison Navarro, Anita Maullin, Nicola Upton, Rachael MacLeod and Judith Armstrong
Sutton Council: How to ask for help
If you are in need of help, and are not sure who to talk to, there are three ways to get in touch:
- If you or someone you know needs this support, please fill in the Sutton Council request support form and they will contact you. You can complete the form at any time.
- If you need support from a charity in Sutton, email Community Action Sutton at firstname.lastname@example.org, they'll forward you to the right charity.
- Call us at 020 8770 5000, option 6. If you are an extremely vulnerable person, please call us in the first instance so we can provide immediate support.
Our contact details
Community Action Sutton
If you are a business or supplier who could supply or donate in bulk, please contact Alison Navarro via email@example.com
Volunteer Centre Sutton
020 8661 5900
If you are an organisation with needs for more volunteers, please contact us here.
Sutton Carers Centre
020 8296 5611
020 8647 6501